Monday 10 November 2008

And now for something completely different.

As you know I have some other vehicles than J types, my first car needed my attention. The other morning a guy in a large white van, that was behind me, jumped out of his cab as we had stopped at a junction and banged on my window. Quote " nice motor, but I nearly shafted your rear end, your xxxxx brake lights don't work" , He had been following me for some time, so close if fact that I thought he was trying to get into the boot.

The brake lights were working, but I must admit the pedal needed a hard press to get the brake bulbs to light. So I needed to change the pressure switch which is the same as a J types and is located in the same place. Easy job one large socket for the switch and a spanner on the 3 way union.


So you just know an easy job was bound to go wrong. The spanner slipped and the large socket twisted the switch and 3 way union braking the brake pipes!
It was now raining and the wind was getting up. So into mad panic mode, into the garage and found various copper brake pipes and replaced them on the car.
New switch fitted to the union with the aid of the vice in the garage. A quick bleed of the brakes and we were back on the road.
I will have to order the correct pipes as some I had used were a bit long and I had to loop them to take up the excess.
Oh well at least I could drive to work this morning and not walk the 3 miles.

The van found in Canada is a very early 1950's vehicle and this morning I got to hear about a J in New Zealand that is in need of spare King Pins, so I have offered to help but as yet have no details of the vehicle.