Monday 9 November 2009

Another J type changes hands.


Yes another J type moves on. The history of this van is rather checkered, found by Colin Ellis in an orchard about 25 years ago. It was in a sorry state then and needed cross bracing and a large strap around the whole vehicle when it was first saved. The main reason it was saved was it was a rare G.P.O. version.
It has rested for the last 20 odd years, no work has been done on it for a very long time.
The engine was stripped down and left. It was in this state that Colin sold it earlier this year as he was getting rid of a life times collection of G.P.O. vehicles and related items.
It sold on e-bay for the staggering sum of £2300. Well over priced for a now very fragile vehicle. It has re-appeared for sale on e-bay just a couple of days ago. It sold again for £3000 !!!! and auction ended early.
When you consider what you will have to spend on this to get it back on the road this is a very high price to pay for a massive, costly project.
I have been asked what is my next job on my J type. A very good question, so many things need to be done, as very little has been to it recently. It is in need of a clutch and gearbox and a full service would not come amiss.
So having been asked a few times "how do you do?" I'm going to replace my leaking windscreen rubbers.
I have never had a problem doing these. I replaced all the rubbers on 3981 EV and ROD 525, so I will do them shortly on OBL432 and take lots of pictures to help others.


OBL432 pictured outside the house I have been slowly clearing. The remaining furniture in the house will be collected next Friday for auction/house clearance, what does not sell will be dumped, needs must, money urgently required. Down sizing big time.