Sunday 18 October 2009

The J type van, a very useful vehicle!

Yes you can fit a motorcycle in the back of a J Type, many people over the years have done this including many professional riders.
I had to call on J type recovery services on Friday night.
I came out of work, I unlocked the motorbike, started the engine and push it off the centre stand only to find I had a flat rear tyre.
Having put the bike back on to its stand I inspected the rear wheel to find a nice large "chipboard" screw sticking out of the tyre. I tried pumping up the tyre without much luck, I was hoping to make it to the nearest garage to use an air line but it was just not going to happen.
So who do you call? After police, fire and ambulance, its just got to be J type services, the forth emergency service.
All I had to do was remove the rear view mirrors and push the bike up a plank in the dark and not hit my head on the rear of the van body.
I failed on most items. The plank was not a problem, I was after all on a Trading Estate, lots of firms about, plenty of wood/pallets etc about, also helping hands in the shape of some lorry drivers who work for "Mars" the chocolate people were about, they do after all work 24/7 making all those sweets. So with three of us a quick push up the plank, the bike was soon in the back of the van and I smashed my head on the rear door frame.
I unloaded the bike on my own, I needed an empty van for Saturday morning as yet again it was being used to shift some more furniture..
Saturday afternoon I took the tyre off the bike rim, the tube was ripped as expected and the screw had damaged the inside of the tyre so even fitting a new tube the rough tyre would soon wear a hole in tube again.
A new tyre and tube are on order so the J van will be used for going to and from work this coming week, not a hardship now is it?