Sunday 5 April 2009

Saturdays Progress.

Pictures added Sunday! Words will be added Monday at work!!Well ROD is turned round again, he's must be getting giddy, but compared to people like "Victoria" who has to travel for an hour just to start work on his van, mine parked next to a fence is a small obstacle.
So both wheels are off, suspension nuts checked, bushes pins and split pins checked.
Drums were removed and brake linings and wheel cylinders checked. There should be no problems with these item as all brake parts are new. I never "muck about" with brakes, I always fit new. I might try and make a petrol pump/dynamo/battery last a bit longer but brakes, never.

So apart from a small amount of welding to do to the driver side chassis out rigger I am happy with ROD. He is ready for the MOT.
So this week a new battery will be purchased and a new clamp made. The coming rain this week will hold me up but as soon as I can I will weld in the new out rigger and then take ROD out again. Its then make the phone call and book the MOT.. What will the "kids" at the test station make of him?
Had a very nice chat with "Canada Van Man" about ROD, MOT's, elderly relatives and the world in general. It was so nice to have that "chat".
Now the tricky job of putting a value on ROD, what do I ask for him? I have not a clue.
Prices on J type are pretty steady, not yet it would seem hit by the world depression. In the last year a few vehicles have changed hands,  e-bay sale have included 1x project van needing welding and a new engine £5k+ , 1x project van needing welding bodywork and engine/brakes rebuild £4k+,  A bread van that did not sell, a Cornish van fully restored, for sale at £12k. So I asked a few J type owners what they thought I should ask for ROD once he is road legal and becomes a vehicle to use and improve if need be, the average answer from four other owners is £6k or if I just want the money e-bay it for all the number plate thieves to out bid each other. Once I paid my e-bay fee's I might as well ask for a smaller price and make sure it goes to a good home. What do you think?????
BUGLY Said,
English J-Vans seem to command a higher price than Aussie ones, but they are still very scarce over here. Many thought that I had paid too much for Bugly last year, but I took a punt on the price based on the photos that I had forwarded to me off-eBay. I am still happy that the price was justified.

With regard to your sale price, remember that the lower the price the more likely it is that a buyer will buy it for the wrong reasons, perhaps to modify it or (if you pardon the expression) to 'rod' it. That would bring tears to both your eyes and mine! If the average recommended price from four other J-Van owners is $6K, then that would seem to be a fair price. Hopefully Rod's new home will be with an owner prepared to become a dedicated J-Van enthusiast!

MAGPIE Said.
Thanks Bugly for you comment, still cannot come up with a price for ROD. As I'm a old vehicle nut, a good home is more important than money, in this day and age, I'm the odd one out, so many vehicle owners/traders are in it just to make money and as long as they make a few "bucks" they don't care, plenty more old vehicles out there "to rape and pillage". So saying I do have bills to pay and at the very least must cover what I have spent on him