Wednesday 1 April 2009

Carburettor noise modification.

On my first drive of ROD I thought the intake noise was rather loud, it was loud on my JB but I have since fitted an SU carburettor with paper air cleaner and the noise is much reduced.

Many people have made modifications to reduce the noise, after all, the air cleaner is a tin can with some wire wool stuff in it, not exactly high tec. So, what is fitted to later vehicles, why paper elements. Now the side valve air cleaner is rather small and apart from using some sort of motor bike air cleaner inside the original canister there had to be another way. I had seen pictures of a noise/dust filter assembly on the excellent MCJTV site.



It was fitted to a J type to over come their excessive dusty roads. So what I wanted was to do something that was easy to buy/make/fit and was also easily removable.
So cutting down a larger paper element, stapling and super-gluing it together, having made a small hole for the breather vent pipe my new filter slips over the top of the existing casing. It can be easily removed and does give some extra filtration as well as taking the sharpness out of the induction noise.

The other job I did last night was to refit the speedo head, with replacement insides, to the binnacle, No I did not paint the cluster casing, the new owner can do that if he wants and also it would show up just how "workaday" the rest of the cab is.
I must concentrate on the items for the MOT, I must get him road worthy and road legal as soon as possible