Monday 31 March 2008

Magpie and a Myth.


I went to London to collect a nice gold seal engine that I had bought from a fellow J type owner. 
Why did I need another engine? Well not the whole engine but the cylinder head I hoped would be better than mine. Even though the engine in ROD was a gold seal unit dated 1962 it was a much earlier engine dating from 1951. These engines were known to over heat and I hope to get a much later (modified head) with larger waterways which I did.
It also came with a good clutch and gearbox and a new old stock water pump which will be very handy to have.
Mr Myth's  van is a 1952 model but he is going to fit the later "B" series engine and gearbox to it.
 I left home at 8.10am, Sunday morning, got to Camden Town North London at 9.05am. I let Mr Myth, as that is what he calls his van (after the reg number) drive my van up to his lock-up garage  in N4.
We loaded up with the goodies, and I let him drive the van back to the the A40, near to Euston Station.
The van does drive better when its loaded. Mr Myth loved my van and he hopes to going to get his 1952 van ready for the big Wythall get-together in June.
Most mechanics are done on Mr Myth's van he just needs to have some room to reassemble. 
A nice little trip, a lot of the tourist out side the museums were craning their necks to see the van, many flash bulbs were popping.

A very empty road going into London, just about to go by the White City and the home of the B.B.C.