Monday 11 August 2008

Awaiting parts and ran out of time.

The front axle refitted to OBL 432.The new type of king pin can be seen in the upper picture and does not look out of place. The lower picture shows some of the new brake parts, the 3/8" BSF banjo bolts are the same as early series 2 morris minor and are available off the shelf.
A view of the steering box end shaft, note the stamped mark (T) on the end of the shaft, this is very important. 
The drop link from OBL being cleaned up, the mark on the shaft must match up with the stamped mark on the drop link, to give an even turning circle.

I am afraid to say not all the parts arrived before the weekend not a bad thing as I was at High Wycombe Hospital for most of the time, I would not have finished the job any way.
I did get a bit done, I started to clean of all the rust and grease from under the off side wing, a very dirty job but it will look better once it is nice an clean and painted.
I fitted the new drag links to the drag shaft, I have used track rod ends instead of drag links, they do the same job, the main difference is that the correct drag links are flatter in profile and I have found them to be hard to source and expensive. Track rod ends are cheap, £11 each and readily available. When fitting remember that one end is a left handed thread and so is the locking nut. When you reassemble the drag link the distance from pivot to pivot is very important, if incorrect the turning circle will be affected.
Its now Tuesday and the shock absorber's have yet to arrive, still as its raining cats and dogs ( and from the sound of my car port roof a few other animals as well ) I will have too wait. As a mate of mine states " the only way is a J", how true.