Monday 4 August 2008

King pin kits, which to use?


Here is a picture showing an original J type king pin set on the left, on the right is a set for fitting to the J2/JU 250 van and is a much later design. The longer king pin having the "cone ends" so rubber "O" ring washers can be fitted to keep out the dirt both top and bottom. The original design had a felt seal and broad washer held in place with a small bolt to protect the top bearing, the bottom one had a type of dished core plug fitted into the base of the stub axle, these often fell out and so the grease soon followed.
Although I have both types in stock in my spares box, I have fitted the later type as all the parts are the same except for the king pin is longer. I picked up four of these kits on e-bay for £10 plus p+p, while original J type sets go for about £30 each. 
Changing the pins is fairly easy. Having removed the cotter pins both king pins tapped out with a bit of help from a blow lamp and copper faced hammer. Remove the worst bearing first using pin punches (the worst bearing is always the bottom one),( note, new bearings have an arrow mark on them, so they need to be fitted the correct way up, this is due to the machined oil ways on the inner surface.) Using the bearing still fitted as a guide I reamed the lower bush, I then repeated this using the lower bush as a guide and reamed the upper bush. I then finished them off as a pair. Re-assembly and re-fitting of the axle only took about an hour but I still have more work to do, I am going to fit new shock to the front and new copper brake pipes.
So its nearly ready to fit the wheels.
Near-side assembled just the cotter pin and new copper brake pipe to fit.
Close up showing how the rubber "O" rings seal the top of the king pin.
Cotter pin fitted and tighten up once king pin was correctly located.
Don't forget to fit the phosphor bronze washer, it should be fitted as shown, under the axle beam.
I have ordered new front brake shoes and banjo bolts for the front brake cylinders and also new front shocks, while I have the van off the road let's get it all done at once.