Thursday 6 August 2009

Engine mounts.

Engine mountings. It was my intention while I had the front of the engine exposed to investigate the engine mounts. I have never been able to find any at auto jumbles and wondered what other vehicles had these fitted. Well the answer is as yet I have not found what else these round mounts were fitted too. DO YOU KNOW? So trawling the Internet, looking at many British vehicles of the same age and checking on-line parts books I spotted what looked like similar mounts.
So I found a stockiest and had to order four, as they had a minimum order value for credit cards on web site orders. (I now have two spare if anybody needs them).
So here is old and new engine mounts. Apart from the threads on the new ones being metric and the actual diameter being slightly larger, which if anything it is a good thing they fitted with no problem.
The off-side mount was easy to change, just three bolts on the engine bracket and the two nuts on the mount. I had supported the engine on wooden blocks with a pad of folded carpet to protect the sump. This was just to take the weight of the engine without actually "jacking it up".
I then moved on to the near-side mount. What a xxxxxxx. Not helped by the constant rain I gave up after half an hours fight.
Round two of this fight will continue tomorrow night.