Thursday 20 August 2009

More parts for export.

In my quest to assist fellow J owners I have of late been finding spare parts for far flung J types. I was tonight cleaning up the bracket that holds the fuse box and regulator unit underneath the instrument cluster.
While I was wire bushing the loose rust and cobwebs off the panel I noticed there was something under the fuse box. Is it a packing washer?
It looks like an old sixpence, these were last in use in this country in 1970's. It must have fallen off the tray above this bracket. I wonder how long its been there and how come it did not short out something.
I was tempted to remove it to find out what it is exactly. I have decided to let the new restorer have the fun of the discovery and maybe it will be a "lucky token" for his restoration.
The fuse box will clean up easily unlike the regulator, apart from the spiders the contacts and the limiting resistor in the base of the unit were damaged beyond repair.

Still no problem this old (December 1954) regulator is only fit for the bin but looking around my junk filled garage I spied a nice new one on the shelf so that will be a nice surprise as well.
Only got to box it up and save up for the postage, then more J type spares on the way to a far flung outpost.